Below are some FAQs we think may help you

How do I enrol?

Complete our Application Form which is available from the website (under International Students or Australian Students), from the College or from your Agent.

Provide the documentation requested on the Application Form:

  • Certified copies of Academic Transcripts
  • Evidence of English level/score (if English is not your first language)
  • Return the above with the $250 Registration Fee.

When we receive the registration fee and documentation, if it meets our entry requirements we will issue you with a Letter of Offer and an invoice for the fees. The entry requirements are on our website under International Students or Australian Students.

If you would like to accept our offer, we ask you to sign the Terms and Conditions and return it to us. Once we have received your signed Acceptance Form your enrolment is confirmed.

The next step is to pay the invoiced fees. Payment may be made to your Education Agent or to us directly (the bank details will be on your invoice).

If you are an international student ,once we have received your fees, we will issue you with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and forward it to you.  You are now ready to apply for your student visa.

Come along and create memories and make friends for a lifetime!

When can I start my course?

We have four intakes a year – February, April/May, July and October.


 Intake Dates 2021
1 February Term 1 1 February to 2 April
25 April Term 2 25 April to 25 June
26July Term 3  26 July to 24 September
18 October Term 4 18 October to 17 December



When can I apply for enrolment?

We have no set dates for application, but courses may fill very quickly.  You are welcome to apply any time.

Do you have any entry requirements?

Academic Requirements

Certificate II and III courses

You must have completed 10 years of schooling or equivalent

Certificate IV courses

For most courses, you must have completed 11 years of schooling or have a Certificate III qualification or equivalent.  The requirements are listed with each course.

Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses

You must have completed 12 years of schooling, or have a Certificate IV qualification or equivalent, or relevant work experience.

Please note that some courses may have specific course entry requirements in addition to the above.

English Language Requirement

All our programs require a minimum level of English proficiency.  If English is not your first language we will need evidence of an English test score (IELTS 5.5, TOEFL 550 or Upper Intermediate English) or even proof of instruction in English from your previous studies.  If you are not sure, you can always ask us.

What are the hours, and how does the timetable work?


Classes are conducted during the day from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9.00am and 4.30pm.

Weekly Schedule

The week’s schedule remains the same for the whole 9 weeks of term.


Timetables vary each term for each course.  New timetables are emailed to all students approximately two weeks before each term commences.

Study at Sterling Business College is designed to allow time out for other important aspects of your life.  Classes are usually held over 3 days, so you have some time out for extra study, work experience, a casual job or simply relaxing.

What is recognition of prior learning?

Recognition of prior learning is an assessment process that involves assessment of your relevant prior learning, including formal, informal and non-formal learning.

RPL assessment means that you can be assessed against a benchmark without having to undergo formal training. This will save time and resources in training, and give you recognition for competencies you have achieved. The RPL process is particularly useful for mature-age jobseekers or existing workers with accumulated life and work experiences.

RPL Procedures

At our college, recognition is most often demonstrated through:

  • participation in structured assessment activities that our students normally would be required to undertake if they were enrolled in the qualification components.
  • credit transfer for learning that you have previously achieved through formal vocational education and training.

Please note that skills recognition is only given for whole units of competencies.

  • If you are interested in applying for RPL, you will discuss your needs with one of our staff to ensure that you fully understand the RPL process, requirements and fees.
  • During this time we will determine what training, if any, will be required to ensure you are ready to attempt our assessments.
  • If we feel that additional training is required, this is negotiated with you.
  • Once you have undertaken all required training, or if additional training is not required, you will be provided with assessments for each unit of competence.

The tuition fee for RPL is half the published tuition fee because, if RPL is determined to be the best option, you will not be attending the training component of the unit/s.

Do you have pathways to University?

Through our AQF Certificate IV programs, we offer the opportunity to obtain practical training and vocational qualifications while at the same time meeting most Australian university degree entry requirements.  However, an AQF Diploma or Advanced Diploma qualification may also make you eligible for credit toward your university study.

Our students study in a relaxed but professional environment, to transition them into university life.

Do I get a student ID card?

If you are studying full-time, you are entitled to a Transperth Smartrider card.  In addition, Sterling can produce a Student ID card for you on request.

What do I wear to College?

Smart casual clothing is an acceptable standard and footwear must be worn at all times inside the College.  No offensive slogans or drawings on clothes are permitted.

Do you have minimum attendance requirements?

Sterling Business College has a ‘Participation’ policy and our students are expected to attend all of the scheduled contact hours for a unit.


In all cases, students are expected to remain for the full duration of classes. Part time employment and personal appointments should be arranged outside of scheduled class hours.

A medical certificate is required for absence due to illness or injury.

Approved Leave

Students will not be granted leave during College term except in special circumstances.  A request for leave must be discussed with the Principal explaining the reason for the request.  Documented evidence will be required.

How are the subjects taught?

Our trainers provide a variety of instruction including face-to-face training, case studies, role-plays and group work with supporting material such as videos and other presentations.

How much study is required outside of classes?

Wherever possible, all work is done during class time.  However, this does not prevent students from doing additional work at home if they wish.

Do you have exams?

Sterling Business College is a vocational training college and all assessments are competency based and designed to reflect workplace practice.  We use a number of assessment methods to prove competency, such as case studies, group work, oral questioning, reports and oral presentations.

What papers do I get at the end of my course?

On course completion, provided that we have your Unique Student Identifier and you have paid all your fees, you will receive a Record of Results, and if you successfully complete all the requirements of the course, you will also receive a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma parchment.

A Statement of Attainment is issued which lists all successfully completed subjects for students who have either not studied or not completed a whole qualification.

What is competency based training?

Competency based training is an approach to vocational education and training that places emphasis on what a person can do in the workplace as a result of completing a training program.  The aim of competency based training is to ensure that vocational education and training programs better meet the needs of industries and enterprises.

Outcomes from competency based training reflect workplace duties, working environment and performance requirements.  This should include performing higher level duties such as planning, problem solving and managing tasks through to completion.

Competency based training programs are often comprised of Units of competency that contain specific learning outcomes, which are based on standards set by industry. Delivery of training may occur in a variety of forms (classroom, online, and distance) and workplace learning may apply to ensure an overall understanding of all skills and knowledge is available.

At Sterling Business College we customise our courses to meet the specific needs of our students. The courses are designed to be flexible and often allow for elective units of competency. These elective units are chosen by Sterling Business College. Sometimes units are timetabled to a learning program which are additional to the requirements of the qualification.  A Statement of Attainment is issued for the completion of any additional units.

Is Sterling Business College accredited?

Sterling Business College is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO Code 2417) which means we meet the requirements of the VET Quality Framework which guides nationally consistent, high-quality training and assessment services in the vocational education and training system within Australia.

We are also registered to offer courses to people who are in Australia on a student visas.  Our CRICOS code is 01701G.

What are the modes of study?

We offer full time study, part-time study, external study and some online study.

For international students on a student visa, we offer full-time study (minimum 20 hours per week) with limited online/external study options in some courses.

What is your privacy policy?

Sterling Business  College only collects personal information that is necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of Sterling Business College’s functions or activities. Personal information that Sterling Business College collects from staff, students, prospective students, past students, and external contractors includes (depending on the services provided and accessed):

  • names and other related contact details;
  • student identification numbers and email addresses;
  • emergency contacts;
  • photographic identification;
  • academic qualifications, history and progress;
  • information relating to entitlements to related educational government payments or support (e.g. Centrelink);
  • complaints or misconduct details or information;
  • other related personal information required for the effective management of the Sterling Business College.

Sterling Business College generally collects information at enrolment, or when you participate in special activities or projects.

Sterling Business College will not collect sensitive information unless:

  • you consent to the collection, and the information is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of Sterling Business College’s functions or activities; or
  • the collection of the information is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court / tribunal order; (e.g. Government funded programs).

Some of the main reasons Sterling Business College collects your information includes:

  • to correspond with you;
  • for administrative purposes;
  • to meet legal obligations;
  • to inform you about your course or other College courses/events;
  • to confirm your entitlement to government funding.

What happens if I elect to not provide my information?

Generally, you may elect to not provide Sterling Business College with your personal information. However, much of the personal information collected by Sterling is necessary to provide you with training services or access to government support. Without this information, Sterling Business College may be restricted in its ability to provide these services or support. In some cases, enrolment at Sterling will not be possible without certain information provided.

How personal information is collected and held

Sterling Business College will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means.

Sterling will generally collect personal information from you directly, unless:

  • you consent to the collection of the information from someone else; or
  • Sterling Business College is required or authorised by, or under, an Australian law, or a court/tribunal order, to collect the information from someone else; or
  • it is unreasonable or impracticable to get the information from you directly.

Sterling Business College stores personal information in both electronic and hard copy forms, and must comply with government legislation and regulation with regards to this storage.

Using and disclosing your personal information

If Sterling Business College holds personal information about you that was collected for a particular purpose (the primary purpose), Sterling Business College will not use or disclose this information for another purpose (the secondary purpose), unless:

  • you consented to the use or disclosure of the information; or
  • you would reasonably expect Sterling to use or disclose the information for the secondary purpose.

External organisations

Information collected may be disclosed to various organisations, including:

  • government departments such as the Australian Taxation Office, the Department of Education, the Department of Home Affairs and the WA Department of Training and Workforce Development;
  • external organisations such as professional bodies, vocational placement organisations, government agencies and education agents, in connection with your studies;
  • Commonwealth and State government agencies pursuant to obligations under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (Personal information may include: contact details, course enrolment details and changes, and the circumstances of any suspected visa breach);

Direct marketing

Sterling Business Sterling Business College may use or disclose personal information (other than sensitive information) about an individual for the purpose of direct marketing if:

  • Sterling Business College collected the information from the individual; and
  • the individual would reasonably expect Sterling Business College to use or disclose the information for that purpose; and
  • Sterling Business College provides a simple means by which the individual may easily request not to receive direct marketing communications from Sterling Business College; and
  • the individual has not made such a request to Sterling Business College.

Sterling Business College may use or disclose sensitive information about an individual for the purpose of direct marketing if the individual has consented to the use or disclosure of the information for that purpose.

Emergency situations and criminal activity

Sterling Business College may disclose personal information for a secondary purpose if it reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent:

  • a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health, safety or welfare; or
  • a serious threat to public health, public safety or public welfare.

Overseas disclosures

Before Sterling Business College discloses personal information about you to a person (the overseas recipient):

  • who is not in Australia or an external Territory; and
  • who is not Sterling Business College or the individual;

Sterling Business College will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach Australian Privacy Laws in relation to the information.

Accessing and seeking correction of personal information

Sterling Business College will take such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information that it uses or discloses is, having regard to the purpose of the use or disclosure, accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant.

Subject to an over-riding legal consideration, if Sterling Business College holds personal information about an individual, Sterling will, on request by the individual, give the individual access to the information.

Sterling Business College is not required to give you access to your personal information if:

  • Sterling Business College reasonably believes that giving access would pose a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual, or to public health or public safety; or
  • giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals; or
  • the request for access is frivolous or vexatious; or
  • the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between Sterling Business College and the individual, and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings; or
  • giving access would reveal the intentions of Sterling Business College in relation to negotiations with the individual in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations; or
  • giving access would be unlawful; or
  • denying access is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court / tribunal order; or
  • Sterling Business College has reason to suspect that unlawful activity, or misconduct of a serious nature, that relates to Sterling Business College’s functions or activities has been, is being or may be engaged in and giving access would be likely to prejudice the taking of appropriate action in relation to the matter; or
  • giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body; or
  • giving access would reveal evaluative information generated within Sterling Business College in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process.

Your right of correction

If Sterling Business College holds personal information about you and Sterling Business College is satisfied that, having regard to a purpose for which the information is held, the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, or, you request Sterling Business College to correct the information, Sterling Business College will take such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct that information to ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which it is held, the information is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.

Complaints about a breach of the Privacy Laws

If you believe that Sterling Business College has breached privacy laws then you may either:

  • Lodge a written complaint in accordance with the College’s Complaints process; or
  • Contact Sterling Business College directly on +618 9221 0000.

Your complaint will be reviewed and managed as set out in the College’s Complaints process .

External avenues of complaint

You may also contact:

Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
[email protected]

Sydney Office
GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001

Canberra Office
GPO Box 2999 Canberra ACT 2601

+61 2 9284 9666


What legislative and regulatory requirements does Sterling comply with?

As a Registered Training Organisation, Sterling complies with relevant Commonwealth and state legislation and regulatory requirements.

Commonwealth Legislation

VET Quality Framework

  • Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015
  • Australian Qualifications Framework
  • Financial Viability Risk Assessment Requirements 2011
  • Data Provision Requirements 2012
  • Australian Qualifications Framework

ESOS legislation

  • Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000
  • Education Services for Overseas Students Regulations 2001
  • National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (The National Code 2018)


  • The Copyright Act 1968
  • Copyright Amendment (Digital Agenda) Act 2000
  • Fair Work Act 2009
  • Age Discrimination Act 2004
  • Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986
  • Disability Discrimination Act 1992
  • Sex Discrimination Act 1984
  • Racial Discrimination Act 1975
  • Work Health and Safety Act 2011
  • Privacy Act 1988
  • Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012
  • Disability Discrimination Act 1992
  • Disability Discrimination Amendment (Education Standards) Act 2005
  • Disability Discrimination and Other Human Rights Legislation Amendment Bill 2009
  • Disability Discrimination Regulations 1996

State Legislation

  • Vocational Education and Training Act 1996
  • Consumer Affairs Act 1971
  • Equal Opportunity Act 1984
  • Volunteers (Protection from Liability) Act 2002
  • Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981
  • Workers’ Compensation (Common Law Proceedings) Act 2004
  • Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984
  • Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004

Further general information on state and territory legislation is available at:

Further information on Commonwealth legislation is available at:

What are pathways?

Pathways provide you with an entry option into Sterling courses based on your individual situation. You may be looking at alternative entry options into your desired course, changing from another provider or have spent the last five years in the workplace.

Whatever your situation, pathways ensure you gain the maximum benefit for any previous study completed – whether at Sterling or another provider.

We work with you to find the right course and entry point for your needs and goals.

Here are some examples for you

I haven’t studied since school

If you’ve never studied a VET course before, we will be able to help you make the right choice of course.

I don’t meet the entry requirements for University

If you don’t meet the entry requirements for your chosen course at University, pathways may provide you with the opportunity to use another course at Sterling as a stepping stone into your University course of choice.

I want to change from another institution

If you’re looking to change providers and continue your studies at Sterling, you may be eligible to receive some credit and enter a course with some advanced standing.

The amount of credit you’ll receive is based on the type of study you’ve completed, how many units you’ve completed and the relevance to the course at Sterling you’re applying for.

I’ve been working for a number of  years

If you’ve been in the workforce for a number of years, your experience may count towards any study you wish to pursue.

You may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to recognise any work skills or training you’ve completed.  RPL may reduce the time spent in class as you may be not need to do any training for some units.

What are the study dates for 2021?

We have four intakes a year – February, April/May, July and October.


1February 2021  Term 1 –  1 February – 1 April
 26 April 2021  Term 2  – 26 April – 25 JJune
 26 July 2021  Term 3  – 26 July – 24 September
 18 October 2021  Term 4 – 18 October – 17 December

What are the accommodation and living costs in Perth?

The costs associated with living in Perth will depend on the lifestyle that you choose.  Below is a list of indicative weekly expenses.

Rental Accommodation

Shared house – room only                                $150+

Shared house – one bedroom furnished             $200+

Apartment – two bedroom unfurnished              $250+

Apartment – three bedroom unfurnished           $350+

Other Costs

Food                                                               $60 – $70

Gas, electricity, water                                       $5 – $10

Laundromat                                                    $5

Public Transport                                               $20 – $25

Telephone (local only not overseas calls)            $10 – $20

Clothing/toiletries/miscellaneous                        $50 – $70

Please note that the above does not include tuition fees, textbooks or vehicle expenses.

When is orientation?

We hold Orientation for all new students in the week before term starts – usually on the Friday.  Students are notified of exact timings when they receive their course timetable.

When do I get my results?

Information regarding results are emailed to our students two weeks after the results are finalised at the end of each term.

I have a complaint – what do I do?

Sometimes things go wrong for you and you are not happy.  There are a number of complaints and appeals processes at Sterling Business College.  Please click on the links below to access the most appropriate process.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on [email protected]

SBC Complaints and Appeals Processes- Complaint

SBC Complaints and Appeals Process – Intention to cancel enrolment

SBC Complaints and Appeals Processes – Assessment Appeal

SBC Complaints and Appeals Processes – Intention to Report

Is it possible to be released from the College?

Under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) National Code 2018, education providers are restricted from enrolling international students who are enrolled at other institutions, prior to the student completing six months of their principal program. The principal program is one for which a student visa has been issued at the highest level of study in the program.

International students who wish to change education provider before completing six months of their principal course, must seek a ‘Release’ from the provider of the highest level qualification that the student has accepted. This requirement applies to students even if they have not commenced their principal course.

Sterling Business College (SBC) will provide a release at no cost to an international student under most circumstances (if the student has a valid enrolment offer from the receiving provider). Where a request for release is not approved, students can appeal in accordance with our complaints and appeals process. SBC will not provide a release if the student has outstanding fees to Sterling Business College.